Thursday, April 27, 2017

Review of The Crash Reel (Neuro Note #2)

Last weekend my husband and I were trying to decide what movie to watch together for a movie night.  Since I love documentaries, we decided to watch one that was on the list for our neuro note assignments.  We decided on The Crash Reel since we both enjoy watching sports and find competitive extremely talented and entertaining. It was a great documentary and really showed the challenges that a person goes through when they sustain a traumatic brain injury. I highly recommend this movie for any and everyone, not just those who work or are involved with the medical or rehabilitation field. I felt many emotions while watching The Crash Reel - it was extremely emotional, shocking and heart-warming. 

http://www.redbull.com/en/snow/stories/1331651474444/after-the-crash-kevin-pearce-says-love-your-brain

Kevin Pearce is a 29-year-old former professional snowboarder. In December 2009, while he was training for Olympic trials, Pearce hit his head after attempting a new trick and went unconscious. He was a favorite going into the Olympics and was predicted to be one of Shawn White’s top competitors.  Initially he was in very critical condition with a breathing tube and then after a few days, his condition was updated to serious. He spent almost four months in the hospital slowing gaining more independence and working on different skills to help him gain more function for every day tasks. 

http://www.theinvisibleinjury.net/blog/2015/10/18/4a-conversation-with-kevin-pearce

Even today, Pearce still struggles with memory loss, mood swings, and vision issues.  Although he eventually was able to start snowboarding again, it was an extremely long process.  Snowboarding was his biggest hobby and his main occupation - after this accident it was a very hard adjustment and realization that his life would not revolve around this sport. As a future occupational therapist, I know that I may work with clients in the future that also have a hard time realizing that they are not able to participate in their main occupation anymore.  I think it’s part of our job to help clients overcome these barriers and evaluate other interests in order to find another occupation that is just as fulfilling.

Kevin Pearce has now founded a foundation called “Love Your Brain”. The purpose of this foundation is to empower, connect and education those with a brain injury to keep living a healthy and happy life. He is also now a motivational speaker and travels across the country to help others with traumatic brain injuries come to terms with their injury and encourage them to keep going and keep living life!

http://www.loveyourbrain.com

Kevin Pearce. (n.d). Retrieved on April 27th, 2017 from http://kevinpearce.com.

Kevin Pearce Update. (2010, January 13). Retrieved on April 27th, 2017 from http://snowboarding.transworld.net/news/kevin-pearce-update-january-13/#CpyEU68gu6LcSEwI.97.


The Crash Reel. (n.d.). Retrieved on April 27th, 2017 from http://thecrashreel.com/store/.

1 comment: