When reading and hearing stories related to traumatic brain injuries it tugs on my heart strings and opens my eyes to the true challenges that people face that experience these life changing events. Although it is always challenging to read and learn about, hearing how people have been effected a by traumatic events, such as a brain injury reminds me that there is a lot to be thankful for and helps put life and my future work as an occupational therapist into perspective. I enjoy reading the different perspectives of people that are experiencing these kind of events and how it is effecting them both physically, mentally, emotionally and socially.
From the blog posts about my professors dad's brain cancer to the podcast that we listened to to prepare for today's class, both of these events not only affected the individual with the cancer or TBI but it also affect their family members. The family members whose life is also affected from the day their wife came home with a TBI or they found out that their dad had brain cancer. Their routines will never be the same. Their roles they play in life will never be the same. The details of their daily struggles and challenges also remind me that as I continue on after to school to being an occupational therapist that my clients are real people too. I think it is easy to get caught up in productivity and checking everything you need to accomplish during your day off your list that you are can start just going through the motions of your work. It's important to remember that your clients play important roles within their lives, whether it is being a dad, brother, husband, coworker, or running partner. They have feelings and emotions and their world is being turned upside down by whatever illness, injury or reason they are coming to therapy for.
I hope that as I continue to learn and grow throughout school, I keep all of these lessons that I have learned so far and preparing for today's class so that I can be the best therapist that I can be!
No comments:
Post a Comment