Each of the different emerging areas within occupational
therapy is so unique and highlights the creativity and applicability of the
profession in a multitude of settings. One of the emerging areas in which I find
really interesting is cancer care and oncology.
Cancer is such a harsh word and for most individuals it can seem like a
death sentence. OT’s that work in this area can help to take this diagnosis and
to encourage clients to remain positive and keeping living the life they’ve
been living and to provide support wherever the client may need it. Cancer
patients are treated in so many different settings and I believe OT can play an
important role in each of these settings. I also believe that providing support and
therapy for cancer survivors can be an important area for OT services.
I also found it very intriguing that research has shown that
patients who received early palliative care report better quality of life and
can even live a little longer versus patients who did not receive this type of
care. I know that if I were every
diagnosed with cancer, I would appreciate all the help I could get to continue
to have good quality of life even with the circumstances.
No comments:
Post a Comment