We had all of the supplies needed for each of the activities
that we facilitated. During the first activity, Minute to Win It, Rachel
clearly explained and demonstrated how to play each of the games. Rachel also
explained how to take the survey and how to score the survey. After the group
members finished the survey, I explained the clock map activity and showed the
group members and example that I had created in order to give the group a
visual demonstration of a daily clock map. Each of these activities was
completed in an appropriate amount of time with none of the activities feeling
rushed or drawn out for a long period of time. We were able to use 3 different
types of activities, which provided variety and allowed for different learners
to benefit from our session.
As we completed each activity, we asked each group member to
share about her experience with that activity. Specifically for the clock map,
we asked each group member to share their “clock” and explain what they did on
the day that they chose to represent in their “clock”. We would then transition into a discussion
about that particular activity and how it made the group member feel or what
may have surprised them from the activity.
I felt as though we were both respectful towards the group members as
they were sharing by giving them our undivided attention, making eye contact
and nodding.
After the discussion, I would then try and summarize the
general consensus or theme from what the group members had shared. For example,
after the clock map activity, many of the group members mentioned it made them
aware of how they were spending their time. I thought it was great that we
clearly met one of our main purposes of the session through this activity and
each of the group members was able to take this away from this session. A
couple group members felt guilty for how they were spending their time so we
focused and discussed this a little deeper. I believe both Rachel and I did a
great job working though the sharing, process and generalizing sections of the
session.
Throughout the session, each of the members was respectful of
one another by sharing their time as well as taking the group session seriously
and not just giving one-word answers. I feel as a group, our members were
involved and truly shared their feelings and overall understanding of this
topic. At the end of the session, we asked each member to share a goal they had
to improve upon their time management if they felt as though they should change
something. We then encouraged them to create a strategy or plan to start
working towards this goal. I believe we acknowledged each of the group members
with respect and honored their opinions and goals as they shared. The group
session ended on time and as a group leader, I feel as though this group was
successful. I believe we were adequately prepared and I felt happy and a sense
of accomplishment with the outcome.
Katelyn,
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing this Blog Post. In case I wasn't clear, you have so much to be proud of from your facilitation, and I felt that same "proud professor" feeling again as I read your reflective Blog. You and Rachel did such a beautiful job, and I can't help but think these practice opportunities are indicative of how well you will do in Fieldwork. Smashing success!
Ms. Sasse