Thursday, June 1, 2017

Review of The Fundamentals of Caring (Neuro Note #5)

Over the long weekend, I had the opportunity to watch The Fundamentals of Caring with my family. A few of my classmates mentioned they watched this movie and recommended it to me. I was intriged by the movie since it is based around a care-giver and a disabled teenager and how they cope with their different challenges and barriers in life. I feel like this is a very relevant movie in relation to occupational therapy because OT clinicians ultimately end up helping their clients cope through their therapeutic use of self. I was interested to see how this caregiver would provide the support needed to this teenager.



http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2452386/


The movie was not what I really expected and I didn't love it but I did think it included some very important concepts that most people don't recognize are struggles of those that have debilitating illnesses. I found appreciation in the fact that Ben, the caregiver, truly wanted to show Trevor, the teenager, that there was more to life than just staying home and watching TV. Ben wanted Trevor to realize that even though he was disabled, he still had opportunities to see the "world's deepest pit"and other landmarks that Trevor was interested in. I feel like Ben really opened Trevor's eyes and helped to create a greater quality of life for Trevor. I also think that Ben learned a lot of lessons through Trevor as well. Overall, it showed me a different perspective and just how important a caregivers attitude and encouragement can influence and individual and I'm glad I watched this movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment