Wednesday, April 25, 2018

OT 630: Conflict, Ethics & Legal.. Oh My! (Missed Class 4/23)


One of my personal values and principles is to remain ethical and honest in all situations I encounter throughout my personal and professional life. Through my time as an OT student, I have learned a great deal of valuable information regarding ethics and healthcare. There are many different ethical situations that can arise during my future career as an OT and I believe the lectures and examples we have been presented during our curriculum are helping to prepare us for these situations. I think as healthcare professionals, it is our duty to remain as ethical as possible in order to provide our clients the best possible care. Sometimes being ethical and following the rules can be challenging because if you do the “right” thing, it can create a conflict and disruption between you and a coworker, supervisor, client or even friends and family.  From past experiences, I know that standing up for what is right can be intimidating but it is important to do since there can be professional and even legal repercussions if ethical principles are not followed. One of my personal strengths is harmony so I do not enjoy being in conflicting situations with others because I like to help the group some to a consensus and get along. Over my years in school, work and different organizations, I have come to understand that at times conflict can be healthy and it is better to address situations rather than let them build up or be overlooked. I believe this is important to remember as I transition from student to OT practitioner. By understanding and recognizing how to address conflict and ethical dilemmas, it can help me continue to develop my overall professionalism.

No comments:

Post a Comment